Friday, October 10, 2014

Off

Mortis Ghost - 2008 - PC

I stumbled across this game while searching for new stuff to play and looking really deep into the internet for recommendations. I often like to try lesser known games that are passionately appreciated by a very small group of people. I saw that Off was a game that was getting this kind of love and decided I wanted to check it out. Off is a French indie game released on the PC in 2008 which was eventually translated into English in 2011. It is a weird, weird, trippy game. I think I would pitch it as: "What if Earthbound was a horror game? And then it was given an extra dose of weirdness"

In Off, you play as "The Batter" (possible Earthbound reference?) who is tasked with "purifying" various zones of the in-game world that have become infested with ghostly specters. The Batter is guided through the game world by a well-spoken and eternally smiling feline known as "The Judge" whose in-game artwork looks like it was likely influenced by Lewis Carroll's Cheshire Cat. The Judge provides The Batter with knowledge and background story about the in-game world and often provides hints for the puzzle solving sections. The Batter is also assisted by a masked merchant named Zacharie who sells The Batter equipment, items and upgrades. He always greets The Batter with a signature creepy chuckle and will occasionally wear a cat mask to impersonate the Judge for some bizarre reason. Most of the characters in the game, especially The Judge and Zacharie, are quite aware that they are characters in a video game and will sometimes directly address the player as though you were a character in the game. In most games, this sort of 4th wall break is done for comedic effect, but that's not the case with Off. Here, it's used as a story element which helps construct the creepy, surreal atmosphere. This is my favorite type of horror game. Off mixes its dark and disturbing subject matter with bizarre, surreal imagery to mess with the player's mind. It uses atmosphere and storytelling to deliver its chills in lieu of jump scares.

I was initially not very taken with Off's art style. It looked cheap, minimalistic and low quality. But as I played the game, the artwork really grew on me and I think it helps to give this game a sense of style. Some of the monster designs are really horrifying too. The soundtrack also helps to create the unique and wacky feel of the game. Just give a listen to "Pepper Steak", Off's battle theme. It's a remix of an old jazz song set to a Cajun beat. It sounds completely insane and a little horrifying, which fits in perfectly with the game thematically. The one complaint I will level against the sound design is that Off repeats some basic sound effects much too often. And I'm not sure if it was just my copy of the game, but the music was very poorly looped. Minor complaints, but these are little things that can be easily cleaned up to give a game more polish.

I found the storytelling to simultaneously be a strength and weakness in Off. The dialogue is very well written, but the story is often ambiguous at times. For a good portion of the game, I felt like I wasn't sure what I was doing or why I was doing it. There are also a lot of events that take place in the game that are a little vague about what's happening, especially near the end. While narrative ambiguity is a definite problem with the game, I still felt interested to explore the world and learn about all of the characters which speaks to how strong and engaging the writing still is. The actual gameplay for Off is where the game falls flat on its face. The RPG combat is very basic and extremely repetitive. Without any interesting battle mechanics, Off's combat system started to stale very quickly. I found I could just use the same attacks and strategy regardless of which enemies I was facing. The game's designers chose to include an "auto-battle" system as well, but I feel this is actually a detriment to Off. It's never good when a game can play itself. The player always needs to feel engaged. The puzzles in this game were almost equally as disappointing as the combat. A lot of the puzzles weren't very well communicated and even the ones what were weren't very clever or interesting. There were times when I wasn't even sure if what looking at was even intended to be a puzzle or not. It's a shame because a little more polish, thought and depth on the gameplay would have done a lot to improve the playability of this game.

Summary:
If you play Off, you're doing it for the story, not the gameplay. The puzzles are weak and the combat is mind-numbingly repetitive. To its credit, Off still manages to create a very unique and bizarre world through strong writing and stylistically appropriate artwork and music. The story lost me at times, but it was still an interesting and engaging ride. Off is certainly not for everyone though and it will likely be doomed by its faults to continue to only be appreciated only by a small group of hardcore horror game fans. If you do decide to try it though, don't say I didn't warn you about that combat system.

EDIT: You can download Off completely free here if you're interested in giving it a shot

No comments:

Post a Comment