Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Persona 3

Atlus - 2006 - PS2

Yeah, this was a weird one. I had never played any of the other Persona games or any of the Shin Megami Tensei games for that matter, so I had no expectations here. Persona 3 is a very Japanese role playing game - keyword Japanese - about a teenager balancing high school life by day and dungeon crawling by night.

At the beginning of the game, the protagonist discovers he has the ability to stay awake during the “dark hour”, a hidden hour that takes place during midnight between days where monsters come out and attack sleeping civilians. He joins a group of vigilantes who combat these monsters and who also have the ability to stay awake during the dark hour. The group teaches him how to summon his “personas” which are summon monsters that can be used during combat. Most of the members of this vigilante group also happen to be students at his local high school as well.

So half of the game is spent at the high school, learning and making friends with students which somehow magically affects your battle stats somehow… I don’t know. And the other half of the game is spent dungeon crawling during the dark hour. The battle system is very slow, repetitive and grindy which was annoying to me. The high school sections were… interesting, I guess, to put it nicely. I don’t think this game was quite my cup of tea. Its writing is very Japanese, if you know what I mean, and a lot of it is… just… weird and off putting. There’s a boss fight in the game where you literally battle against a monster who is just a model of a painted naked woman with her legs open. I’m not kidding! Who decided to put this in the game? It’s weird and creepy.

Summary:
The battle system was too grindy and repetitive to hold my interest, but I could see how hardcore fans may find this game interesting, I guess. I just don’t think it’s for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment