Tuesday, December 31, 2013

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Firaxis Games - 2012 - PC/PS3/X360

I got this game for free by preordering Bioshock Infinite on Steam. I enjoyed this game sooo much more than Infinite. I like to think that I actually bought this game and got Bioshock for free. XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a turn-based tactical strategy game where you command a squad of soldiers battling an alien invasion. It’s actually a remake of an old PC game of the same name. I never played the original, but I've heard it has some UI issues that make it unintuitive and difficult to learn. This was the opposite. It was easy to get the hang of and felt familiar to me as someone who has played several games in this genre before.

XCOM also has a “permanent death” element where if one of your soldiers dies on the battlefield, he dies forever. Which made me restart a battle a few times when one of my best soldiers died, even though I probably would have won anyway. Soldiers can specialize in several different classes: Sniper, heavy, medic etc. and you can upgrade your soldier’s gear and abilities and what not. Nothing too groundbreaking or innovative, just a very solid tactical strategy game.

Summary:
Check this out if you like turn-based strategy, I enjoyed this game enough to finish it twice. It’s quite addictive. And difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment